The complete Adjustment of Status application consists of the following documents and forms:
- Form G-1145, E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance (if you submit this form, USCIS will text or email you the receipt numbers when your application is registered. Check your spam folder for email from USCIS)
- Filled out and signed Form I-485. Use the most recent form edition available on the USCIS I-485 page
- Filing fee in the form of a personal check, cashier’s check, money order or a filled out Form G-1450 (credit card payment):
- For applicants age 14-78: $1,225 (biometric fee included)
- For applicants under 14 and filing together with at least one parent: $750
- For applicants under 14 and filing separately from a parent: $1,140
- Applicants age 79 and older: $1,140
- There’s no additional filing fee for employment authorization (Form I-765) and advance parole (Form I-131)
- Two identical color U.S. passport-style photographs of the applicant (add four more photographs if you want to apply for employment authorization and advance parole)
- Form I-130 receipt notice or approval notice (only if applying for a family-based green card and Form I-130 was filed earlier or already approved). Concurrent filers are not required to submit Form I-130 receipt notice
- Form I-140 receipt notice or approval notice (only if applying for an employment-based green card)
- Form I-129F approval notice (only if applying as a fiancé(e) of US citizen)
- Sealed medical form I-693. Medical form I-693 can be filed:
- At the time of filing Form I-485;
- By mail as response to RFE (Request for Evidence) advising the submission of medical form;
- In person at an interview at USCIS local office (if scheduled)
- Copy of passport page with nonimmigrant visa and CBP stamp
- Form I-94
- Form I-864 (required for all family-based immigrants) signed by petitioner
- Petitioner’s tax return or IRS tax transcript for the most recent tax year
- Petitioner’s W-2 and/or 1099 forms for the most recent tax year
- Copy of applicant’s long-form birth certificate that lists both parents’ names, plus English translation
- For derivative applicants only – proof of relationship to the primary applicant (marriage certificate for spouses, birth certificates for children)
- Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization (optional but recommended), no additional fee if filing with I-485 application
- Form I-131, Application for Travel Document (optional but recommended), no additional fee if filing with I-485 application
Make a copy of the application for your records.
Where to Mail Form I-485 Application
USCIS requires the Adjustment of Status application and supporting documents to be submitted by mail with one of four USCIS lockboxes.
The lockbox address depends on the applicant’s state of residence. To find the correct mailing address, check the USCIS Form I-485 Filing Addresses page.
Find your category and your state of residence. If you will be using USPS to mail your application, choose “U.S. Postal Service (USPS)” address. If you will be using FedEx, UPS, or DHL to mail your application, choose “FedEx, UPS, and DHL deliveries”.
We recommend obtaining a tracking number for your package, so you can track the status of the delivery. USCIS typically takes anywhere between 1 week to 1 month to register your Adjustment of Status application depending on the category.
After filing the application, the applicant will receive a biometrics appointment notice from the nearest application support center instructing you to appear for fingerprinting.